YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN THAT
on sexual exploitation of minors.
- Partners: La Sortie is a partner of Mourani-Criminologie
- Target population: 13 to 24 years old.
- Territory: Quebec.
- Platforms where awareness campaign was deployed: Meta (Facebook and Instagram), TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube.
- Campaign duration: July 10 to August 7.
- Campaign review: over 2,770,000 impressions (number of views). Our big star is undoubtedly the TikTok platform with 1,841,704 impressions, 40% of which are among 13-24 year olds. Facebook generated a lot of interactions (23,595) and performed best with the target audience with 60% reach for the 13-24 age group. Snapchat was popular with female Snapchatters with 62% of impressions reached. As for YouTube, it had the best video view rate with an overall average of 38%. We estimate that 90% of the data analyzed comes from Quebec.
- Link to campaign
Dr. Maria Mourani
Dr. Maria Mourani holds a degree in clinical criminology from the University of Montreal and a doctorate in sociology from the University of Ottawa. Recognized for her expertise on street gangs, organized crime, human trafficking and sexual exploitation (minor and adult), she has worked with public safety organizations and has piloted several national security files in the Parliament of Canada. She is the sponsor of Bill C-452, an act to amend the Criminal Code to protect victims of sexual exploitation.
Dr. Mourani has worked in a variety of professional environments, including youth centers, Correctional Services Canada, CSST and others. This has allowed her to intervene and accompany adult and minor clientele, including victims and perpetrators of crime.
During her professional and academic career, she has conducted research on criminal groups and since 2010, she has been interested in the involvement of youth in jihadist groups. She is the author of several publications, including three on street gangs and the Italian mafia in Montreal. Her book, Machine-Jihad. Du désir à l’engagement : 10 jeunes lèvent le voile, was launched in Quebec and Europe. Her latest book, Operation Scorpion. Les dessous de la plus grande enquête sur la prostitution juvénile au Québec, was published in November 2022.
After 10 years as the Member of Parliament for Ahuntsic, she was the Representative of the Government of Quebec at the Permanent Delegation of Canada to UNESCO in Paris and was responsible for the issues of radicalization and artificial intelligence.